Sunday, April 8, 2012

Nowendoc to Gloucester

Sunday 8th April:

I decided it would be sensible to make an early start, as I wasn't sure that my bike would make it to the next destination with 2 broken spokes. So I set off at 0720, the others following about an hour and a half later.

To stop the buckled rear wheel from rubbing against the brakepads I left the rear veebrakes disengaged for most of the way, only reengaging them for the big descents.

The first few kms were through a dense forest:

After about 28kms there was a massive long steep descent which was really exhilarating, it would have been even more enjoyable had I not been worrying about my weakened rear wheel collapsing over the bumpy surface:

There were almost no flat sections throughout the day, it was very hilly, but the scenery was terrific:





The wheel held up okay, and after 5 hours battling the hills, I reached Gloucester, a pleasant little town, around 12.20pm. Carole arrived around the same time, having driven most of the way. Well someone had to bring the car along!
When it had cooled down around 3.45pm, Rob, Carole and I went off for another 20km ride around Gloucester:


It was nice to cool down a bit going through this ford:



The mountains in the background are the Barrington Tops:

Total distance today 100kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment