Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Gisborne to Melbourne

Tuesday 2nd April 2013

The forecast was for showers, and the sky certainly looked threatening, so I tried to keep up a good speed to get to Melbourne before the rain started. For the first 10kms I couldn't avoid using the busy freeway, but then managed to find a quieter alternative route. From here the Melbourne skyline was clearly visible in the distance:


Passing by the airport, and through the north-western suburbs, I reached the city centre just after midday. Then the rain started. So I had managed to arrive without getting wet, always a big relief.

Distance today was 60kms, giving a total of 1940kms since leaving Adelaide over 3 weeks ago. During the journey I had only 1 puncture,  no mechanical problems with the bike, and no near misses with, or aggression from, any motor vehicles.

Because it was so gloomy in Melbourne (it always is when I visit there) I didn't take many photos and am not planning to stay long, just 2 days during which I will catch up with friends. Then it's back to Sydney, to prepare for the next adventure!

 
Federation Square

 
Swanston St, Burke and Wills memorial

 
GPO and Bourke St Mall

No comments:

Post a Comment