Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cairns to Mossman

Tuesday September 3rd 2013


I headed out of Cairns northbound along the Captain Cook Highway, which starts off as a wide dual carriageway with a good bike lane. After a few kms I saw this statue of the man who started it all:




After about 15kms the road narrows and hugs the coast, becoming quite undulating. It's a very scenic route, somewhat reminiscent of the Great Ocean Road which I rode in March this year:






After about 70kms, early in the afternoon I arrived at Port Douglas, an old gold-rush port that has undergone a lot of recent development and is packed with designer boutiques and fancy restaurants.




It was too early to finish riding for the day, so I headed on to the next town, Mossman, which has a large sugar mill, but not much else.




Mossman - nothing to see here
Now I had a tent, it was time to put it to good use, so I found a campsite just outside the town. I just managed to get the tent up when the rain started, and it didn't stop until the morning. Fortunately the tent stayed reasonably waterproof, and the temperature remained warm. Well this is tropical Queensland, so that is to be expected!
Distance today 93kms.


No comments:

Post a Comment