Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mossman to Cape Tribulation


Wednesday 4th September 2013

I had to wait until it stopped raining until I could dismantle the tent, so it was about 10am by the time I got on the road. The first part of the route wound through cane fields until it hit the coast again at Wonga Beach, where I saw the first of many crocodile warning signs:




The sky remained very overcast and there were occasional showers, not heavy enough for a soaking, but nevertheless sufficient to discourage me from making many photo stops. After about 30kms I arrived at the Daintree river, which is crossed by means of a cable-driven ferry, fare just $1 each way for bicycles and their riders:




North of the Daintree, the route soon begins a long, steep ascent through dense rainforest, up to the summit of Mt Alexandra.




From the summit there's a great view towards the mouth of the Daintree River. Pity it wasn't bright enough to get a decent picture:




Soon after enjoying the exhilarating descent, I stopped at the Daintree Ice Cream Company and enjoyed some exotic flavours including black sapote. Then a few kms on, this fish and chip shop at Thornton Beach was too tempting to resist:




I arrived in Cape Tribulation around 3.30pm and set up my tent in the campground at PK's Jungle Village, an agreeable place with a reputation as a party venue. It has very good facilities including an excellent bar area and swimming pool. However it was very quiet. No doubt the poor weather over the last few days has put people off coming, and the atmosphere throughout the whole place was fairly subdued.



I did manage to get in a decent walk along the beach and around Cape Tribulation, before the rain turned heavy again, continuing well into the night.




Distance today 68kms, total so far 161kms,

1 comment: