Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Yungaburra to Cairns

Tuesday 1st October 2013

Leaving Yungaburra heading east on the Gilliies Highway, the route continued to climb steadily for the first 15kms. On the way I stopped briefly at Lake Barrine, a beautiful spot, if somewhat touristy:


There's a scenic walk around the lake, one of the highlights is the twin Kauri Pine trees. these giants are over 45m tall and 6m in girth:


Back on the road, soon afterwards there was a view over Lake Tinnaroo in the distance:


Then there was a long winding descent back to sea level, for about 15kms I coasted along without having to touch the pedals. Even better, the gradient was gentle enough to maintain a reasonably safe speed, 30-40km/hr without having to apply the brakes. And there were views like this on the way down:


It was quite noticeable also how much warmer it became as I got closer back to sea level. After 45kms I reached Gordonvale where I stopped for lunch; from there it was a fast, flat ride up the busy Bruce Highway back to Cairns:


So that was the end of the ride, and another one in the Lonely Planet Guide completed. Quite a tough ride with all the hill climbing, but certainly very scenic and there were plenty of good eating and accommodation options along the route. I was certainly very lucky that the rain held off for 6 days, it seems that that is an uncommon occurrence in this very wet part of the world!

There are 2 more Lonely Planet rides starting in Townsville so I'm going to head down there in the next day or so. I won't be riding all the way there, 400kms along the Bruce Highway would not be much fun - so I'll be taking the bike on the Greyhound bus. I'll update the blog soon so please take another look in a few days.

Distance ridden today 71kms, trip total 384kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment