Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dunkeld to Warrnambool

Monday 18th March 2013

It was a beautiful sunny morning and following a quick breakfast at the Mountain View cafe I hit the road heading south from Dunkeld. Here's a view of the cafe, with Mt Sturgeon in the background:


25kms onward I reached Penshurst, where I saw this historic garage facade and was intrigued by the advert for Nash Lafayette cars, and the word "Lubritorium":


It reminded me to give my bicycle chain a good oiling, since I've done nearly 1000kms now since the start of the tour.

The road onward was through fairly unremarkable farmland, until after 80kms I reached Koroit, a historic small town with a lot of signs in Irish, and a distinctive Art Nouveau style hotel:


Here I was able to join the rail trail which links Port Fairy with Warrnambool, my destination for today. The station at Koroit has been restored and the platforms are still in place:


The trail was well marked and easy to follow. The tarmac soon finished and the surface became gravel but it wasn't too rough.


Near Warrnambool the trail ran across a swamp, then it followed a river. Along this section I saw a large brown snake, about a metre long, on the path, unfortunately it slithered off before I could get a photo.



The rail trail eventually joined a coastal path for the final kilometre or so into Warrnambool:


After riding around the town for a while, I checked into the Colonial Village Motel which was pretty good, and had a pleasant meal at a Thai restaurant.

Distance today 122kms, total so far 1037kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment