Sunday, March 24, 2013

Geelong to Ballarat

Sunday 24th March 2013

Geelong is only a day's ride from Melbourne, but I don't want to end the tour yet, so rather than continuing on to Melbourne I headed in a north-easterly direction towards Ballarat and the Gold and Spa country.

It looked like a nice easy day's riding ahead, along the Midland Highway which proved to be straight, well surfaced, and with a nice wide shoulder. However, unfortunately there was a ferocious headwind blowing against me for the whole journey and it was a real slog. Also there was nothing of note worth stopping to photograph on the way.

I reached Ballarat around 1630, fairly exhausted. There's a lot to see here so I will be staying here 2 nights. I'll post some photos tomorrow once I have had a chance to explore this very interesting and historical city.

Distance today 94kms, total so far 1439kms.

Here is the updated route map -unfortunately Google maps now seems to be splitting it into 2 pages. I will try and sort this out but meanwhile you can scroll down the directions and click on Page 2 to see the latest section.

No comments:

Post a Comment