Saturday, March 30, 2013

Maldon to Bendigo

Saturday 30th March 2013

I awoke yesterday morning to find I'd gone blind in my left eye. I'd been stung by a wasp (at least I think it was a wasp, I didn't actually see what the insect was) on Wednesday, while riding through Clunes. The eye had been painful at first, but the pain had pretty much gone by Thursday morning and there was hardly any swelling. However by Friday morning the swelling had well and truly taken place, and it was really uncomfortable:


I decided to ride on to the next destination, Bendigo, as I knew it wasn't far away, and I could see okay out of my other eye. Fortunately the route was along quiet roads, and I took it easy as well.

There wasn't much to see along the way, even if I'd been able to see properly. I did stop briefly at Maldon station, which still runs steam trains:


I arrived at Bendigo at lunchtime and found a chemist that was open, in spite of it being Good Friday, and got some antihistamines to help relieve the swelling. By then the day had become very overcast and I spent the afternoon just relaxing and waiting for my eye to improve.

By the next day the swelling had gone down a lot and I was able to see reasonably clearly. I went for a walk around Bendigo, and visited the excellent art gallery, and climbed the observation tower (another disused gold mine poppet tower):


View from the top of the tower:


Art Gallery and theatre:


Town Hall:


Historic tram:

 


Like Ballarat, Bendigo was founded on the immense wealth from the nearby goldfields, and its public buildings are very impressive.

Distance Maldon - Bendigo was 46kms, total so far 1707kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment