Monday, December 12, 2011

Northcliffe to Walpole

Monday 12th December

The weather had turned cloudy, but it looked set to stay dry. Before leaving Northcliffe I took a brief look around the town, and checked out the local museum:



The route continued to undulate through karri forest and there was a headwind which made progress slow; however there was nothing to stop for on the way so I kept going. Back on highway 1, this sign had the distances to the next 3 destinations:

For the second half of today’s ride, the countryside opened out to lower, scrubbier forest and the riding became easier, despite the persistent headwind. Near the end of today’s ride, at the peak of a long ascent, the coast became visible again:



From here it was downhill all the way to today’s destination, Walpole., a small town on the Walpole Inlet which is itself part of the larger Nornalup inlet. I checked into the comfortable-enough Walpole Hotel and had a really excellent dinner of Mongolian Beef , accompanied by a local shiraz, at the Phillipine Magic restaurant.

Distance covered today was 108kms.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, this town was named after my great great uncle, the press baron Lord Northcliffe whose papers promoted the settlement here. If I'd known you were going there I would have asked you to get me a postcard or something. My parents have a teatowel from there but I can't remember how they got hold of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi teresa I only just noticed your comment from 5 years ago!!! I am about to start another ride from Perth to Albany via a different route but will be going through Northcliffe again. Will try and get a postcard for you this time!!!

      Delete